Salsa Verde is fresh, spicy and way better than anything you will find in a jar. Super easy and quick, whip it up for a party in no time!
Salsa Verde Recipe
Do not be intimidated by roasting tomatillos, when I say this is an easy salsa verde, I mean it. This is simple, delicious and worth the bit of extra work. You are going to love the fresh flavors that come together in this salsa. Roasting the tomatillos brings depth and richness. And because it is not jarred, there is no weird aftertaste to this incredible salsa. It is going to become a staple in your household!
Salsa Verde is a green based salsa thus the name verde, which means green. Made with tomatillos and peppers give it its distinct color and flavor. It has a distinctly different tangy zesty flavor versus red salsas. It is often a more mild tasting salsa, but you can always add more kick if you need to. Use this salsa to top Navajo Tacos, Chicken Fajitas, and Homemade Empanadas. You can also just serve it as an appetizer with corn chips.
Ingredients for Tomatillos Salsa
Look for tomatillos in the produce section near the jalapeños. They will have a husk on them that is easy to remove.
- Tomatillos: Look for firm ones that are not squishy, wrinkled or blemished.
- Small Onion: Roughly chop the onion.
- Jalapeño Pepper: For more spice leave in the seeds, otherwise remove and chop.
- Garlic Cloves: Adds extra flavor and heat.
- Cilantro: Fresh and vibrant, cilantro is a classic herb used in Mexican cooking.
- Salt to Taste: Don’t skip the salt, it helps brighten the flavors.
How to Make Green Salsa!
The longest part of making this salsa is roasting your tomatillos, and even that does not take that long. You will love the deep flavor in this salsa verde that comes from roasting!
- Tomatillos: Husk the tomatillos and rinse. Lay on a baking sheet. Heat the broiler to high and roast for about 10 minutes, turning half way through. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine: In a food processor or blender add the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro and salt to taste.
- Blend: Pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. Serve as desired.
Tips for Incredible Salsa Verde
You and your family will love the mellow flavor of this salsa, you can add or delete according to your tastes.
- Jalapeño: Get more of that roasted flavor by roasting your jalapeños with the tomatillos. If you want a bit more spice leave the seeds in your peppers or just remove part of them.
- Tomatillos: Pick ones that are roughly the same size so they roast at the same rate. Be sure to peel back the husk before buying and check for that nice bright green color and smooth firm skin. Once peeled be sure to rinse them. Unlike tomatoes, you can store tomatillos in the fridge which will help them keep longer.
- Thin it: If your salsa needs thinning add a Tablespoon or two of water.
- Do not over process: This salsa shines when it is a bit chunky. Do not puree, unless you want to.
- Better With Time: Salsa Verde is amazing fresh, but it is divine when the flavors have time to really meld together too. Make this at least a day ahead for delightful flavor.
Variation of Homemade Salsa Verde
There are different ways to achieve the incredible flavor of a salsa verde, which you prefer is up to you.
- Roast: You can roast your tomatillos in a pan on the stove over medium high heat. You want a good char on the skins, but not burned.
- Boil: Another way to cook your tomatillos is to boil them. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Boil for 5 minutes then drain.
- Sugar: You can 1/2-1 teaspoon of sugar to help balance the acidity from the tomatillos if you desire. Do not worry, you cannot taste it.
- Canned Tomatillos: Yes you can use canned, you won’t need to char them and the flavor will be incredible but slightly different.
- Boil it: To intensify the flavors once you have blended it place in a large pan or saucepan. Bring it to a boil then turn it down and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Let cool before serving.
How to Use and Store the Best Salsa
More Mexican Inspired Dishes
I love Mexican food. It is so fresh, full of flavor and easy to customize. It is also super fast whip up. When I have trouble figuring out what to make, and no time, Mexican food is one of my all time favorite go to recipes. It is a food we can all agree on. Rich with spices and full of flavor and fresh ingredients, it is no wonder it is one of the most popular foods around. Next time you are craving Mexican reach for one of these tried and true favorites.
Calories143kcal (7%)Carbohydrates28g (9%)Protein4g (8%)Fat4g (6%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Sodium9mgPotassium1066mg (30%)Fiber8g (32%)Sugar16g (18%)Vitamin A810IU (16%)Vitamin C63mg (76%)Calcium49mg (5%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.